Lifeguard Training Courses Offered at Camp Killooleet:
The American Red Cross Lifeguard Training Course is designed to prepare candidates to prevent, recognize and respond to emergencies at their specific aquatic environment. This course is open to all candidates looking to obtain their Lifeguarding Certification for:
- Swimming Pools
- Waterfronts (Includes bays, lakes, ponds, beaches, and swimming pools 20 ft. deep or less)
- Youth Camps (Includes waterfronts and swimming pools 20ft. deep or less)
- Lifeguard Recertification
Prerequisites for In-Person Training:
- Be at least 15 years old by the last day of the course
- Pass and complete the Online Blended-Learning Training, which will be send out approximately 2 weeks before training.
- Pass a Pre-Skills Assessment Below for Deep Pools (max depth 20 ft.), Waterfronts (bays, lakes, ponds, and beaches), and Youth Camps:
- Swim 550 yards, continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing using front crawl and/or breaststroke (goggles allowed)
- Swim 5 yards, submerge and retrieve three dive rings placed 5 yards apart in 4 to 7 feet of water, resurface and continue to swim another 5 yards to complete the skill sequence.
- Tread water for two minutes, using only legs
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute and 40 seconds:
- Start in water, swim 20 yards (no goggles)
- Surface dive to a depth of 7 to 10 feet and retrieve a 10-pound object
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on back to starting position with both hands on the object and keeping the face at or near the surface
- Exit water without using ladder or steps
2023 Training at Camp Killooleet
Training information coming soon!
*Camp Killooleet Training is only open to camp staff.